Monday, April 18, 2011

Crucifixion Nails Found? I Smell a Movie Deal.

 This one caught my attention because I’m gearing up to investigate the Historical Reality of Jesus.

Basically, Simcha Jacobovici, the guy who brought us Jesus’ tomb, claims that he found nails that are from the crucifixion, providing further proof that the tomb is Jesus’.

My issues, let me number them…
1)     He provides absolutely no evidence in his very brief interview as to why the nails are authentically crucifixion nails.
2)     He claims that he’s working with an Archaeologist, but doesn’t name them or their institution.
3)     He’s working from the assumption that this is Jesus’ tomb, but that was never made clear either.

Not to mention he’s got another movie due out soon on…the nails….

I have to hand it to the author of the Omaha World-Herald, they’re having none of this crap. The skeptical tone they manage to keep is admirable. They point out the controversy around the nails; the fact that Jacobovici claims the nails were there in the original 1990 excavation, but were never photographed or recorded, then disappear for 20 years, and then magically reappeared in a Tel Aviv University lab in Jerusalem. If this is a true recounting, then this is a case of really crapy archaeology.

My guess is, that he’s making all this up for some free publicity. Normally, I ignore blatant cries for attention, but in this case, I am intrigued to see how he’s going to butcher the world of archaeology in order to fulfill his false claims. So yah, keep an eye out for his “documentary” on the discovery of the nails, and then wait for my rebuttal. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment